ILLUSTRATIONS BY MARILYNNE ROACH
- A watched bud never blooms. And taking its picture every day doesn’t help.
- It’s good to let go of things that are not healthy.
- Bees are friends. And often funny. But wasps are jerks.
- Things need space to grow.
- Unexpected guests can be unexpected gifts.
- Weeds always find a way in, you just have to keep taking them out.
- Sun and fresh air heal more than you think.
- It’s harder to cut flowers from your own plants.
- Yes, you are now required to wear a sunhat.
- Trust your intuition. Things can look dead, and even though your kids will make fun of you for continuing to prune, water, and sing to them, sometimes a little extra love brings them back to life.
—By Lauryn Lupino of Vernon, NJ.